126-0312 *GS-4 BNSF Excursion Black 4449
The GS-4 runs on eight massive 80” drivers, 300lbs psi boiler pressure, and puts out a roaring 5,500 horsepower at 55mph, with a maximum speed of 110 mph. The large drivers gave the locomotive a high top speed; the telling mark of a steam engine built for passenger service. The GS-4 was built for the Southern Pacific Railroad by the Lima Locomotive Works and delivered in the early 1940’s for the SP’s premier passenger trains, finding its way to the Daylight series of name trains. One of the more unique specifications for the GS-4 by the SP was its Mars light, a necessity with the large amount of grade crossings and fog present on the West Coast. The Mars light, like ditch lights on modern locomotives, was utilized as a warning for grade crossings that a high speed train was approaching, its shifting light patterns serving as an eye catcher in foggy conditions.
About the "American Freedom Train" GS-4 Scheme
From 1975 to 1976, in celebration of the United States' 200th birthday, GS-4 #4449 was re-painted into a striking red, white, and blue paint scheme, and put into excursion duty pulling a special display train all around the United States.
About the BNSF Excursion Black GS-4 Scheme
In 2000, the Daylight was repainted black and silver for a Burlington Northern Santa Fe employee appreciation special. It was to celebrate the BNSF freight railroad and to commemorate the days of the 4449 and other GS locomotives assigned to freight, helper, or local passenger trains. This train excursion went through Seattle, Washington and then east into Montana before heading back to her home in Portland, Oregon.
- Designed to accompany the Kato Southern Pacific "Morning Daylight" Passenger Train sets, able to pull all 18 cars without assistance
- Drivers are operated by functional side rods for smooth performance
- Electrical pickup from both driver and tender for constant electrical connection
- Directional, operating (simulated) Mars light
- Directional headlight
- Illuminated number boards
- Detailed cab interior
- Front and rear kato magnetic knuckle couplers
- All detail parts installed
- DCC friendly design, designed to take the EM13 Motor Function Decoder
Fast UK Delivery